Re: Blurry monitor on FC4

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 02:51 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 17:16 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I have often felt that it is difficult to read text on my FC4 machine,
> > but I thought that it may be a monitor issue (Proview 774). Today I
> > temporarily connected the monitor to an XP Home machine and the text
> > was perfectly clear. Is there anything that I can do to clean up the
> > text? Here is part of a screenshot:
> > http://dotancohen.com/text.png
>
> I'm not sure that you can use a screen shot in a useful way for that
> sort of diagnosis.  Though it looks pretty normal to me.
>
> I think a lot of the problem will be the different ways that Linux
> smooths fonts compared to how XP draws the screen.  I notice Linux looks
> softer compared to other systems, too.  If you turn off the aliasing,
> you see that the fonts are hideously chunky.  There's some strange
> dependence on aliasing that other systems don't have.
>
> The best advice that I can think of is to try tweaking the font size a
> bit to see if that helps, and/or the font face.

My monitor occasionally gets blurry as well - the source of the problem
is the rats nest of cables behind my PC and some sort of electrical
interference with some cheap extension cables that I am using.   If get
behind my PC and straighten out the rats nest of cables my monitor
blurriness goes away.  Make sure that that is not the source of your
problems.

Charlie