RE: X

> Hi people,
> Is there any way I can use my x desktop remotely?
>
> Using it first hand is impractical because speech will not
> read it, but here
> on my laptop (windows XP), I've heard it's possible to run an
> x desktop, and
> listen to music.
>
> How would I do this please?
>
> Cheers,
The vnc program, which comes with FC4 can display the UNIX X desktop on
a PC (or other Unix box or a PC desktop on a UNIX box).
Downloads and full documentation can be found at: http://www.realvnc.com

You have a couple of choices to make.
If you just start the VNC server you will get a clean X desktop
when you use the VNC client.  If you want to see what is actually
showing on your monitor and drive the Linux box from the window box,
you need to make 4 changes:

1.  In /etc/X11/xorg.conf find Section "Module".  Add the line
    Load "vnc" and it will look something like this:

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "vnc"
EndSection

2.  Still in /etc/X11/xorg.conf find Section "Screen"
    Add the line
    Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
    It will look a little like this one:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
   Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

3.  Logged in as you, run the "vncpasswd" command.  It will create
    $HOME/.vnc/passwd

4.  Log in as root and run the vncpasswd command again.  If you are
    already logged in, the password you specified for $HOME/.vnc/passwd
    will be used.  At the login screen the password you specified for
    /root/.vnc/passwd will be used.

Log out to the Fedora login screen to restart the X server and pick up the
changes.

On your PC, you will need the PC vnc client program downloaded from
http://www.realvnc.com

There are a couple of other vnc clones which also work.
You also can route a vnc connection through an ssh shell, but that
is for another discussion.

As for music, if you play music on your fedora box, it will use
the sound card on that box and come out of the speakers attached
to that box.  This is probably not what you want.  You need to ftp
the files to the local machine to listen to them.

Bob Styma