Re: Join the existing LAN with a wireless router

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 07:18, Barry Yu wrote:
>
>>In the office there is already an existing LAN with 6 desktop machine
>>1 dns server / dhcp server / gateway, ip address range 10.1.10.110 ~
>>10.1.10.240, connection of entire LAN is by cable with a switch box,
>>every machine is working fine. Now I want to add a Linksys router
>>WRT54G in the office to enable 2 more laptops ( or more than 2)
>>equipped with built-in wireless network card for the network, how
>>ever, these laptops can only go to the Internet and communicate with
>>other wireless laptop in the same wireless group (Same ssid), but
>>can't communicate with those wired desktops, the way I connect the
>>wireless router is : With a cat 5 cable one end connects from the
>>Internet port of router and the other end goes to one of the port in
>>the switch box ( Where all desktops are connected). I would imagin
>>that unless all of the desktop each adds a wireless network card to
>>enable them to join the wireless network group, otherwise 2 different
>>network segments can't communicate at all - Can anyone give some
>>ideas how to make the wireless group to join the wired group?
>

> I recently extended my lan by adding a router where another cable was
> impossible.  I also had problems, and I think that what I did was the
> same as you have done.  This is what worked for me.
>
> On the new router, ignore the external/internet port of the router.
> Take a cable from your existing wall box to one internal port on the
> router.  For me that meant that I had disconnected one cabled box that
> didn't have wireless, so that we then connected through another
> internal port on the router.  This workstation is the cabled one, but I
> also use a wireless-lilnked laptop without any problems.
>
> The gateway address is still the same gateway.  The router has its own
> IP, but it is really only acting as a hub and wireless A/P.  HTH
>
> Anne

With this router, you should probably also go to "The Setup Tab -
Advanced Routing" and turn on Dynamic Routing. A better way would
be to get one of the open source firmware packages for this router
that will let you put it in the bridge mode. This will let you
use all 5 ports, plus the wireless, without setting up a firewall
that would give you problems talking with the rest of the network.
(I have only limited experience with this router, but I have read
up on it - I want to play with one when I have the spare cash.)

In the future, you may want to make sure the router you are buying
supports the bridge mode if you are using it as an addon to the
network.

Mikkel