Re: Boot cd

Tim wrote:
Tim:

Why do people do this?

Anne Wilson:

Because it is the first time they have encountered an ISO image. Very many people make the mistake of copying the image to a disk, first time around. Someone has to explain what it is, and how it's handled differently - just once - and the problem disappears. Everybody starts somewhere.

I can understand burning the ISO as a file to a disc, as a mistake.  But
considering the steps that you go though to get your hands on an ISO
(reading pages, finding the ISO, working out which one you should get,
etc.), do they really miss something saying burn a disc from this image
file?

Should the top of the Fedora page listing the ISO files say, "these are
'image' files, burn a disc from them, don't unpack the contents and copy
them to a disc"?  Could it be made damn-fool-proof?  ;-)

One thing that would help would be not to use the word "unpack" in
reference to an ISO.

Though, to be fair, I've seen a couple of Windows CD-burning
applications that give you no option to burn from an image, and a few
that hide the ability.

I haven't seen that, but I have limited exposure to software to
burn CDs at all.

You have found the bank of Larn.