Re: Boot cd

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 13:39 +0000, Francisco España wrote:

> I downloaded FC4-i386-disc1, 2, 3 and 4 I un zip them and then I burn
> them in cd's. My bios is configurater for that, but with the cd on the
> drive my fedora core does not boot to start the instalation, why is
> that?  I have red hat 8.0 and when I put the cd on the drive it boot
> with no problem and works fine.

Why do people do this?  Faced with instructions that say how to burn a
disc from ISOs, or having to find said instructions, they go looking for
something else to unpack the image file.

An ISO is a direct image of what should be burnt onto the disc (just
like stamping something out from a template).  Find the option in your
CD burning software that lets you burn a disc from an ISO image.

If you unpack the contents of the ISO, you have the files, but not what
made the disc bootable.  And it'd fail any integrity checks (because the
disc isn't what it's supposed to be).  However, if you have another
working system, this may actually be better than installing from burnt
discs.  It's MUCH quicker to read files from a hard drive or network
than a CD-ROM (e.g. a 15 minute instead of 1 hour install time).  The
only hard part is booting your system to install in that manner.
Doable, but difficult for the inexperienced.

I read messages from the public lists.