Re: Boot cd

Tim wrote:

Why do people do this?  Faced with instructions that say how to burn a
disc from ISOs, or having to find said instructions, they go looking for
something else to unpack the image file.

Mike McCarty:

Well, use of language like this is part of what causes the confusion.
One does not "unpack" an ISO, because an ISO is not a "packed file".
It is a file system. One can mount it, but not "unpack" or "extract".
These words should properly only be used with .tar, .arc, .zip, .rar,
.lzh, .gz, etc. files. Not with .iso.

Well to be really pedantic, unpacking doesn't *have* to refer to

I wasn't being pedantic. I pointed out that the use of language
like that was confusing and inappropriate. This is practical and
pragmatic.  I emphatically did not insist that anyone stop using
that term, did I?

Anyway, I have never used terms like "unpack" with regards to
an ISO image, or even anything like an ISO image, like a floppy
disc image, for example, which I have been making and using for
quite a number of years.

[snip]

And taking a rather obtuse, but not totally incorrect point of view; if
I make an ISO file of a CD-ROM, to back up somewhere else, I *have*
"archived" it.  I might well want to extract one file from an ISO, and I
have actually done that on one or two occasions.

I was careful not to use the word "archive", and yet you act as
if I did.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.