Re: browser

On Thursday 19 January 2006 08:33, brouwers roland lx wrote:
> I think I agree to.
> I will try again:
> In a program or script, I would like to call a routine, written
> in PHP, or something else that would start a browser, in which I
> can look for a file. Once the file is found, I will enter on this
> file or click on it, which will result in a returnvariable in the
> calling program. This returnvariable contains the name of the
> file,including his path, p.e. "/home/roland/Docs/NameOfFile".
>
> Suppose you have a program, which let you enter all data about a
> car. One of the fields is the name of picture of the car, with
> full path. So, wenn one enters in this field, it will start the
> calling routine, opening a browser, enabling one to look up the
> file and transfer the path/filename.
>
> This routine is done on your linux desktop when you start a new
> launcher. You can enter the full path + filename or start a
> browser. The same thing is done when you print to a file, instead
> of a printer.
>
> I hope this is clear enough.

How would this differ from the http browser you already have?  For
example, start your http browser, select:

File ->
 Open File ->
   Navigate to: /usr/share/doc/coreutils-5.2.1/README

The browser will display the file and place the name of the file in
the navigation bar.  You can also do this from the command line
like so:

$ mozilla /usr/share/doc/coreutils-5.2.1/README

Is this not what you've described?

Regards, Mike Klinke