Re: YumEx problem

On Thu January 19 2006 7:00 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Yum is working without problems, but yumex appears to be broken on my
> installation.  This is FC4, with all updates applied.  When I open
> yumex it appears to go into an endless loop,initializing repositories,
> citing filelists.xml.gz.
>
> Advice, please?

This has been my experience with Yumex since day one. It seems to take much
longer to find mirrors, download the lists, build the database, and produce
output than any of the other package managers. I'll be interested to see if
anyone has something different to say. I just tried it to see if matters had
improved; it took nearly five minutes to produce a file list. It found one
update, and that installed fine. Then it went into its checking repos routine
again with similar results.

If you'd like to try an alternative, try KYUM - it's much faster, and
personally, I like the interface and functionality more than Yumex.

There are also next-generation package managers pup and smart, if you feel
like experimenting.

And there's apt and it's GUI interface Synaptic, a long time favorite of many,
but it's no longer being developed, and some of the repos are dropping apt
support...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA