Re: Join the existing LAN with a wireless router

On Thursday 19 January 2006 02:18, Barry Yu wrote:
> In the office there is already an existing LAN with 6 desktop machine 1 dns
> server / dhcp server / gateway, ip address range 10.1.10.110 ~ 10.1.10.240,
> connection of entire LAN is by cable with a switch box, every machine is
> working fine. Now I want to add a Linksys router WRT54G in the office to
> enable 2 more laptops ( or more than 2) equipped with built-in wireless
> network card for the network, how ever, these laptops can only go to the
> Internet and communicate with other wireless laptop in the same wireless
> group (Same ssid), but can't communicate with those wired desktops, the way
> I connect the wireless router is : With a cat 5 cable one end connects from
> the Internet port of router and the other end goes to one of the port in
> the switch box ( Where all desktops are connected). I would imagin that
> unless all of the desktop each adds a wireless network card to enable them
> to join the wireless network group, otherwise 2 different network segments
> can't communicate at all - Can anyone give some ideas how to make the
> wireless group to join the wired group?

Question:  Are you using a "switch box" or a "multi-port switch"?
	What I know as a "switch box" is for switching things like printers or serial
	modems.  A "multi-port switch" is a router, able to work across different
	subnets.  There's also a "hub" whose function is similar to the switch except
	it won't work over different subnets.

Suggestion:  google for "WRT54G"
	That will bring up MANY sites with info regarding this router.  Making an
	assumption that you're using a "multi-port switch", you should be able to
	connect the WRT54G via cat5 cable to the switch without problem.

NOTE:	The info above may not be accurate.  It's been several years since I was
	able to work on commercial networks and I'm having some dementia (memory)
	problems.  If someone finds errors, please let me know.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467