Re: Newby Question FC4

rengland@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
chalonec wrote:

I have installed FC4 and am looking for a command line way to search all
files in all directories and sub-directories on a disk for files that
contain a certain text string such as the word gateway or mode or any
word. There are so many config files on Linux that if I had this
capability I could find out which one had the information I needed so I
could then begin to identify where I might want to look to fix or
troubleshoot something other than the log files.  If this were Windows,
I would just use the text search string gui by right-clicking start.

I have tried find, grep, locate, egrep, man, and the Internet and have
had varying levels of success but none seem to be consistent.  There are
a dizzying number of options,

I am pretty sure grep or find should work but I can't figure out how.

Can someone help ?

A case-insensitive search for the word 'gateway' in directory /etc and
all subdirectories:

$ grep -i -r 'gateway' /etc

Paul.

But the OP is looking for a specific string in a file in the directory
structure.  I believe what is wanted is:

find . -exec grep -i -l  gateway {} \;

This will search from where you are in the directory structure (.) in a
case insensitive manner (-i) and return the file name only  (-l).  The {}
are correct, as is the \;  (backslash semicolon).  Include them as is and
modify the string "gateway" as needed.

Or just use:

$ grep -i -r -l 'gateway' /etc

Paul.