Re: Private Mirror/Repository

On 1/18/06, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> A client has a number of machines on their internal LAN, all running FC4.
> To keep them all up2date takes quite a lot time and bandwidth because
> even at 512M broadband speeds the stuff has to be downloaded for all
> the machines on the network.  Could I set them up with their firewall
> machine holding a mirror of the Fedora Core and Extras repositories and
> have all the network machines point to the firewall for repositories ?
>
> Any pointers to doing this and gotchas to beware of would be welcome ...

Try:
http://www.tqmcube.com/repo.htm

For FC3 or later, you'd be editing .repo files from /etc/yum.repos.d
rather than /etc/yum.conf but the basic procedure is as described there.

The firewall may not be the best place to mirror yum repositories.  Perhaps one server could be setup as a local repository.  I did to solve firewall incompatiablity issues.  Mine is currently using about 16GB.

The folks at fedoranews.org did a fine job documenting how to setup a local respository:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/hal_canary/yum/