Re: New Thread - system speedups for client boxes

--- James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rickey Moore wrote:
> > I would propose a new thread for system speedups for
> > client boxes...
> > apps to install/remove, services to start/disable. I'm
> > using my box as a pure client, yahoo mail, personal
> > applications, some development, but no server
> > services.
> >
> > Yes! I am finally on my Fedora Core4 machine, finally!

Whoops I should have said that my Fedora Core4 machine is finally
talking to the DSL line, it's been running for months... where I was
in Virginia not able to hit the net, except with a modem. <sigh>

> > Got PPPoe working to a router, as suggested (THANX!)
> > to the DSL modem. I'm afraid to reboot for fear it'll
> > go away. <chuckles> So, I'm looking for the most speed
> > I can get out of this aging PIII, both hardware and
> > software. My ole 486/DXII with 16 megs of memory
> > seemed to run faster, back when. Of course, that was
> > pre- KDE / Gnome /ALSA. So, any bits of info will be
> > highly welcome. Ric
>
> Linux isn't Windows. Specifically (thank heavens) it's not the old
> Windows-on-top-of-DOS where you had to tune real memory, high
> memory,
> tune this, turn off that. There's not that much to tune.
>
> What you might find is that more memory helps: you'll page to disk
> less,
> and more data will be cached. Getting more physical memory is
> likely to
> be worthwhile (for a PIII). (How much do you have?)

I have 128 megs worth, which used to be something hoped for... Now
it's not a helluva lot.

> Otherwise, try turning off unneeded services. Is this likely to be
> the
> only computer on your network? Are you ever likely to want to do
> local
> file sharing? If not, make sure you haven't got samba or NFS
> running.

Right, but there are about 50 deamons all ready to spring into
action.
I've had this notion for a very long while.. what about a run level
4, that is X11 and single user mode... wouldn't that be a heckuva
speedup?? There are a zillion potential users, with no regard for
sendmail or ftp or sambe, NFS, etc to be running in the background,
either by mistake or ignorance.
"init 5" and all the bells and whistles fire up. "init 4" and
everything comes to a screaming halt while you have all of the
resources reserved for a nice session of Quake. It's a thought. Linux
could be one helluva game platform, while in this runlevel 4, and all
the network horsepower can be made available when you went back to
runlevel 5. Heck, I just might do it myself
> I'd recommend, too, that you go through the running services and
> work
> out what each of them do. Work out whether they make sense for you.
> That
> way you'll learn a lot about your new system.
>
> Oh yes -- welcome to Fedora!

Thank you James! That 486 handled 4 modems and 20 serial terminals,
all at once, using RedHat 4. WAY back when! <chuckles> I used Caldera
for quite a while too, and had Win3.1 running as a linux client
through Wabi. It ran faster on Linux than it did under DOS. THAT was
kewl. I'm happy as a clam, now that the router is handling the pppoe
setup quite nicely. Ric