Re: xfs - gui - recent updates

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 15:08 -0600, John Pierce wrote:
> > I can boot to run level 3 without any problem by appending "3" to the
> > boot line, when I run startx from the root account I get an error
> > telling me that it cannot find the fonts.  In checking xfs I find that
> > it is not running at all, and will not activate from the command line.
>
> So do chkconfig --list xfs from the command line and the output should
> look like the follwoing:
>
> xfs             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> If it is not set to on in 5 then do a chkconfig xfs on and then repeat
> the command to see if it is.
>
> Also if you want to use the gdm then go to /etc/sysconfig and edit
> desktop and put the following lines in the file:
>
> DESKTOP="KDE"
> DISPLAYMANAGER=GNOME
>
> Good luck
>
> John
> --
John,

I will try anything at this point so I appreciate your help.
Unfortunately it did not work.  When I watch the boot process xfs starts
without a problem, but when I look for it after the boot it is missing.
xfs was set to be on for run levels 3,4,5 on these boxes by way of the
defaults.  The desktop was set to "GNOME" and the DISPAYMANAGER was not
listed.  I made the entries as you suggested but it still did not
present with a normal login screen.

I can use "system-config-display" remotely by using "ssh -Y name".  I
have switched monitors and resolutions to try to find something that
works, but to no avail.

Greg