Re: Change permissions on /dev file?

[ ... ]

Anyhow, how do I get udev to actually use the mode I've told it to use???

- Toralf

hey toralf -

i had that same frustration.  i was sure that udev wasn't properly
setting the permissions.  but...

i suspect that udev is doing the proper permissions.  what you are
seeing is the result of the pam security stuff
in /etc/security/console.perms.d

when a user logs in, the devices controlled by that system, have their
owners and permissions changed as specified.

i just finished putting up a file in that directory called local.perms
because of scanner problems here.  the scanner part is:

<scanner>=/dev/scanner* /dev/usb/scanner* /dev/sg*

# permission definitions

<console>  0666 <scanner>    0666 root
Ah, I see. Tanks.

i'm not yet sure that the /dev/sg* part is necessary.

I'm on a different machine right now and can't check the setup in question, but I found after posting the last message that the permissions on /dev/sg0 would be left alone as long as I didn't create a "scanner" link pointing to it. Surely that means my config refers to the symlink, and also that the link is "followed" when doing that. So I suppose you don't need /dev/sg* if you always have /dev/scanner* links pointing to the devices you are interested in.

 note that 666 may
not be what you want. but, i sometimes su to other users for testing
and its more convenient for me.

you can use udevstart to rescan for devices and it appears to also force
the console/pam stuff to re-do things as well.

it appears that the perms files need to be named the reverse of the udev
rules files.  as i currently understand it, with the perms files, the
last one read is the winner.  but, with udev, it seems to be the case
that the first one found is the winner.  so, my local udev rules are
named 10-local.rules  but, my local console perms file is named
local.perms, so it gets parsed after the 50-* file does.

still in the process, so YMMV.
OK.

Thanks again.

- Toralf