Re: Change permissions on /dev file?

How can I update permissions on a device file on an FC4 setup? I mean, I know I can use chmod, of course, but the problem is that for /dev special files, the changes are lost on reboot. [ ... ]

grep -n "sg" /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions
The permissions are set there.
Right. I haven't quite got used to this new(ish) udev stuff... Seems to me now it must be the place for the setting I want, but the location you mention can't be correct for my system, as /etc/udev has no permissions.d.

Look to /etc/udev/rules.d
HTH

I think I should be able to define an appropriate rule for my unit, but I'm surprised to find that the udev doc does not mention a key containing the device type or vendor/product id (as reported e.g. in /proc/scsi/scsi.) Is there really now way to do direct match on those?

- Toralf