Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

jdow wrote:
From: "Rahul Sundaram" <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi

I I don't want to join it for the sake of a month; I wish to go from three to five. I prefer not to rejig my yum configurations and/or up2date configurations, and I don't wish to go to four at this late state.

Pretty simple. Continue getting updates from Fedora Legacy till Fedora Core 5 is released.

"responsibility to contribute."

Jo and I don't contribute? You gotta be joking. We've both been helping out on these lists for years (with a minor break or two when RH left us).

If you would like to get updates from Fedora Legacy project for a longer duration you will have to contribute to that project specifically which is what I meant earlier in context.

You're not listening, Rahul. That leads me to wonder just who constitutes
the community that does the influences Fedora policies. I guess folks on
this list are basically peons who are not part of the "community" or at
least we're not as equal as other members.

Hmm. He has suggested you go to the devel area. I don't understand
why this is not a reasonable forum for discussing such "policy"
related issues, myself. But if it isn't, then it isn't, and so long
as there *is* a forum for that type of discussion, then I don't think
anyone is being treated badly.

We're aware of the policy. We disagree with it. And we're agitating for
a change. It appears to affect John directly. It won't affect me until
6 test 2. But I expect I'll get plenty annoyed at that time. And if the
annoyance is big enough I can go for some honest autocracy and setup
with FreeBSD. (And maybe lose some of the GPL encumbrance problems.)

I've been seriously considering Debian, actually. I've been having
to administer a friend's machine, and the Debian people are pretty
helpful in most respects. Debian is at least as easy to administer
as FC is. And there is less pressure to "upgrade" in my experience.

But so far, I've been satisfied with Legacy. I don't need or want
lots of new "features" (like LVM, or selinux, as examples). But I
am interested in "critical updates" and "security fixes".

I've had some experience with FreeBSD, and with Solaris, and on the
whole, I'd prefer Solaris to FreeBSD, at least for my home machine.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.