Re: Problem copying VOB files.

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 13:58 +0000, steve.goodey@xxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if someone could help with a question please.
>
> I have been transferring my 8mm home videos to DVD by plugging the
> camcorder into my DVD recorder and copying onto DVD+RW. I then place the
> DVD+RW into the drive on my PC so I can edit them. I have been able to
> transfer the files from the DVD+RW onto the hard drive using Windows XP
> and Mandriva by dragging and dropping.
>
> The problem now is I am trying to migrate to FC4 and dragging and
> dropping VOB files doesn't work. The copy starts ok, then the transfer
> rate collapses and it stops with a message, "Could not read file
> /media/cdrecorder/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB". This is when using konqueror.
> The same disc copies ok using windows/mandriva. Trying cp from the
> command line on FC4 fails with input/output error.
>
> I have bypassed the problem by using vobcopy, but why does FC4 have a
> problem?

Not that I can answer your question, but I've found dvd::rip
(http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/) quite useful for grabbing things off dvd
(I have a camcorder that writes directly to DVD).

To get a little bit off topic...  I don't know why you are copying the
VOBs off to disk once you've put it all on DVD.  My guess is that you
want to further edit them.  If that is the case, then I'd recommend
pulling it all from the 8mm tape into DV format on the hard drive (not
sure what kind of hardware hook up you'd end up needing).  DV would be
lossless uncompressed video giving  you both much better quality video
to work with and something that is much easier to import and work with
in various editing packages.  Note that VOBs are mpeg2 files.  The lack
of DV and being limited to mpeg2 output is my major complaint against my
camcorder and a reason to replace it if I ever start doing a lot of
video.

Just my $0.02.

Chris