Re: Accessing Thunderbird email in terminal

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 1/15/06, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>If you have X forwarding enabled, you could run Thunderbird on your
>>home machine, and have the display on the university machine. You
>>do need an X server running on the university machine. If you are
>>running Windows, there are some Java X servers you can run, ether
>>in a web browser, or as a Windows program. I remember running
>>across a couple that included SSH to connect to the remote machine.
>>
>>Mikkel
>

> Are you refering to the browser-based VNC servers that serve in Java?
> I have a VNC client on the wife's winbox and performance is terrible
> even over the LAN at home. I have not yet configured the router for
> remote access, but if it is any worse than on the LAN (and it must be)
> than it would be almost unusable.
>
> Other than that, this is a better solution than the mutt solution that
> I proposed because Hebrew email does not display well in mutt.
>
> Dotan Cohen

No, this is an X server. The version I have started to play with
runs inside a web browser. (http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/) The
thing to remember about X is the server is the part that handles
the display and input, and the client is the application program.
The application program does not have to run on the same machine
as the server. So you can run Thunderbird on a remote machine and
have it displayed on the local machine.

Mikkel