Re: Gcalctool and square root

At 5:44 PM -0600 1/15/06, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> Jeff Vian ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 15/01/2006
>> 17:12:

>>>I tried what akonstam shows above and it works for me.
>>>The formula prior to pressing the enter key (= button) was "Sqrt(123/3)"
>>>The result was 6.403124237 which is the sqrt of 41 (as expected).

>> we have to wait for the confirmation from someone from my country.
>> No way to work and no doubt about your calculation but also about my
>> findings...I realized this bug as my son was doing some math calculation
>> for high school and pointed out that he couldn't get a SqrRoot (but also
>> absolute value is not working)

>Let me point out that the way it works is not the way I would have created
>this tool. I would want when you hit Sqrt that is would take the square
>root of the number on the screen but it works in the way many calculators
>work that you need to enter the whole expression algebraically and then
>the calculation is made.

I'm finding this whole thread very confusing, because, on my FC3 system,
when I type "gcalctool" I get the gnome calculator accessory, which works
as you describe.  I can't find any mode where Sqrt shows "Sqrt(", though if
I type a "(" I can enter an expression, press Sqrt and see an "s" in the
expression, and evaluate the expression by typing a ")".  Gcalctool version
4.4.20.