Re: OT: Laptop screen died

On 16/01/06, Gregory Pittman <gpittman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 09:49 -0800, Don Russell wrote:
> >

> >>This machine may be on its last legs... some keycaps tend to pop off if
> >>you don't press the center of the key... it's relatively old... a few
> >>months ago I put in a bigger hard disk... :-( so, it may be time to cut
> >>my losses..."pull the plug" and let it go.  RIP.
> >>

> >Don,
> >
> >I faced the same situation with my ThinkPad a few months ago. I decided
> >that since IBM/Lenovo doesn't [yet] offer an Athlon64/M ThinkPad, I had
> >the backlight repaired and the keyboard replaced. Unless there's a new
> >toy you REALLY lust after, I'd recommend fixing what you have.
> >

> Check it out on the internet -- there's a good chance you will find
> something about was part(s) might need to be replaced, and how to DIY.
> I had a Gateway laptop whose screen died a traumatic death (my daughter
> dropped it), and I was able to exchange the top with a similar laptop
> that wouldn't boot at all anymore, based on information I could get by
> googling. Cost: $0. There was no way I would pay for the repairs on a
> laptop with a 333MHz PIII processor.
>
> Greg
>
> --

When a Toshiba laptop shows a really dark screen then it is usually
one of the following parts that is failing (ordered by most likely):

* LCD Inverter (a little component that usually sits below the screen)
* A cable (connecting the screen to the mainboard or the inverter to
the mainboard)
* The screen itself (probably backlight)
* The mainboard (if an external display works fine then it is highly
unlikely to be this)

Try the inverter first as you can normally pick those up cheaply.  If
you are in Australia then send me a private email and I may be able to
help you out.

--
Kind regards,

John Francis