Re: How to reinstall windows xp

michael_wright@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi guys
I'm trying to re-install windows XP home on an acer Aspire 3610,
I'm using fedrocore 4 as a operating server. how can i install windows
xp home.
need it to remotely loggin to my server using xp home..

Regars
Michael
I ended up keeping Windows XP Home as a dual boot option on my HP Pavilion laptop. Seems that's the only way HP lets you do things like update the BIOS and there are some windows only accessible controls (e.g., if you disable the wireless LAN in Windows, you can't re-enable it from Linux). When I discovered these two "features," I ended up re-installing. I first installed Windows XP from the restore media that came with the laptop on a 10GB partition and then installed Fedora. FC4 recognized the Windows partition and let me set it up in the GRUB boot menu. I also set up a 2GB FAT partition since FAT is safely read/write from both OSes. Both OSes work fine and I'm about due for my monthly reboot to Windoze to pick up an update from HP.

If you don't have unallocated space sufficient for an XP install on this system, there was a long discussion about shrinking a live ext3 partition not all that long ago on this list. I think the bottom line was that there wasn't a way to do from with a running FC4 instance that needed that partition. I chalked that bit of knowledge up to "nice to know if the situation ever comes up but will probably change in the future." You may want to dig again and see if its feasible.

Cheers,
Dave