Re: WiFi PCI cards?

Patrick wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 05:51 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Hi all,

Did some googling but mostly found laptop related WiFi posts and info.
Anyone know (where to find a list of) WiFi PCI cards for in a normal PC
that are compatible out of the box with FC4 and Hostap (preferrably non
ndiswrapper and linuxant)?
I don't know that a current list exists.

I download the windows drivers and inspect the package to see what's inside the package; it tells me what chipset's used.

I have two prism54-based cards, those work well.
My laptop has Atheros inside; that's fine and SUSE & Ubuntu support it out of the box; on FC you might need to build a driver, but it's not hard if you are into that sort of thing.

TI and Broadcom I avoid.

Note:
D-link labels some of its products to tell you what's inside; it uses both TI and Atheros,

I researched some TP-Links cards yesterday, the ones I found have Atheros.

Sometimes the packaging can give clues, some of the terms used are (I think) trademarks, so if you find two brands of card using the same funny capitilsation or made-up words they likely use the same chipset.

Thanks for the tips John. Very useful.

One thing to do is to take a look at what chipset support is included
in the kernel and try to find boards that support that. This way you
are more likely to have the modules and not need to recompile the
kernel. So far I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out how
to properly recompile the kernel. One method I found requires no
less than 1G of disk space to compile. (I think it's someone's
port of their kernel.spec file).

I have no idea how I'm going to explain this to unknowing for
FC, SUSE, and Debian. This is just ridiculous!

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site