windows on hdb does not boot

on 01/14/2006 10:17 PM Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 16:49 -0500, oleksandr korneta wrote:
I happened once to install fedora on /dev/hdb, and then physically
made it /dev/hda... Everything was messed up, I had to reinstall the
system (just because I didn't have any other machine close to me to
get alternative solution)

That's really not necessary, you could have saved yourself a lot of
effort.

You'd have had to reconfigure GRUB to use the right drive, and
reconfigure /etc/fstab so that your mount points refer to the right
drives and partitions, but the software installed on your system doesn't
care which drive it's on (hda, sda, etc.), it's only important where
it's mounted (/usr/bin/ etc.).  Both reconfigurations are easy enough to
do.

hm... I reconfigured grub but didnt think about fstab, therefore when it started complaining about some critical stuff missing, because it was looking for it in a wrong place, I just reinstalled it. Anyway, this was a long time ago, thus it is not that important anymore. But thanks for the hint, it might be helpful later.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./