Re: (no subject)

oleksandr korneta wrote:
> I have 2 hard drives in my box with linux and windows on hda and hdb
> respectfully. My grub is on mbr of hda. And windows loader is on mbr of
> hdb. I can boot with no problems into windows when I set hdb to be
> master drive. However when I try to boot into windows from current
> configuration the only message I get is
>
> chainloader +1
>
> which is the string from the grub.conf
> Nothing more happens.
<snip>
> and here is the content of my boot.ini
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=3
> default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> I tried to change the partition number  here from 0 to 1to tell the OS
> that it is actually on the slave drive.

Probably a bad idea. I'd put it back.

> I suspect that for some reason windows does not like to have its
> bootloader on a slave drive. This is just a pure guess (assuming that
> everything I've done is ok). But if it is true, is there any workaround
> or do I have to replace my grub with ntldr like the fellow couple
> threads above?

Do you have a fedora rescue CD? Can you use it? If not, I'd recommend
leaving well alone. Get Fedora booting from NTLDR, and don't muck about
with your boot sector. Otherwise you might not be able to get into
either operating system.

NT (and I'm including Win2K and XP) doesn't like having it's boot
partition mucked about with. I suspect you could get it as far as
beginning to load, probably as far as the second screen -- the one with
the big Win2K logo. But you'd then run into problems once it had loaded
all its drivers and tried to switch to protected mode disk access. While
running, it doesn't get its idea of the location of the WINNT directory
from the boot loader: it stores it internally.

So I'd leave hdb as the master.

Unless you've edited /etc/fstab or /boot/grub/*, Fedora should Just Work
once you've got it to boot. So it shouldn't worry if its /dev/hda has
suddenly become a /dev/hdb.

What you should be able to do is use the rescue CD to put grub into the
MBR of Windows' disk.
grub-install /dev/hda
*Not* /dev/hda1, that's where NTLDR goes.

The BIOS will load the MBR (grub) first, then (if you chainload Win2K)
it will move on to NTLDR.

To the best of my knowledge, you need NTLDR, but you can set the menu
delay to zero.

In any case, I'd recommend *good* backups. Make a mistake, and you might
have to reload both OSes. (In which case, load Win2K first, Fedora
second, and accept the defaults. It should work).

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "In these troubled times, it's always refreshing to
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | see a major company concentrating on vital issues.