Re: RAID-1

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 01:07, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> > Are there any gotchas to adding RAID-1 to a existing, operating FC3 box?
> >
> > Things to watch out for, pointers, howtos, etc.
>
> The only gotcha is making sure you add the correct entires in you
> /etc/mdadm.conf file or your volume will not be properly assembed at
> boot time.  Basically, you want to do this:

I don't think that's entirely true since you may have your root
partition on raid1 and it will be assembled before this could
be read.  And I've added extra partitions on raid1 without
making any mdadm.conf entries and they are detected automatically
as long as the partition type is set to FD.  Does anyone know
where to find a description of when the mdadm.conf entry is
actually used?

Related question:  Are there any dangers in 'cloning' machines
by swapping out raid1 partitions, moving to a new box and
re-sync'ing new mirror drives?  You have to install grub and
change the hostname and IP address, but it doesn't take as
much downtime as a dd copy.  What will happen if someday some
of these disks are swapped so the wrong pair are together
in the same machine (with or without changing the UUID on
the cloned set)?  Is there a way to predict which will be
the active one if they aren't currently in sync?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx