Re: RAID-1

On 1/13/06, M. Lewis <cajun@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FC4
>
> Are there any gotchas to adding RAID-1 to a existing, operating FC3 box?
>
> Things to watch out for, pointers, howtos, etc.

The only gotcha is making sure you add the correct entires in you
/etc/mdadm.conf file or your volume will not be properly assembed at
boot time.  Basically, you want to do this:

1. run 'mdadm --detail --scan' and copy the ARRAY line.
2. Open /etc/mdadm.conf and add the following:

DEVICE partitions
MAILADDR root
(your ARRAY line from the above command) auto=md

Your entry will look something like this:

DEVICE partitions
MAILADDR root
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2
UUID=9d63435e:d8d83d77:d30ddb0d:6bd45f86 auto=md

Note that the auto=md isn't technically necessary on a system using
udev, and also that it's on the same line as the ARRY entry.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."