Re: Ouch!

James Wilkinson wrote:
John Summerfied wrote:

My camera does 8.3. At present I'm using a 512 Mb card; I don't know what happens if I go bigger, what's the next size limit that matters to FAT?

2 GB, for what it's worth.

I'd be very surprised  if you couldn't just put FAT32 on it, though.

I'd like to see an open format make it, but I'm not sure there are
any on the horizon.

If they're allergic to GPL, there are some BSD filesystems to choose from.

Um. I don't think you *can* GPL formats, as such. The only way to limit

I was thinking more of ext2 and other Linux filesystems. Using existing code is way easier than writing one's own.

other people's use of formats (if they code everything from scratch to
the format) is with a patent.

I would expect the algorithm rather than the code to be subject to patents. Though, given the use of patents law to "patent" naturally-occuring substances, one might wonder.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait