Re: Setting up remote login in xp

Michael Wright <michael_wright@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 > Hi all
 >

 > been doing some search in google on how to setup a remote login by using
 > the windows terminal xp cant seam to find anythink that relate to my
 > question. can someone help us out here.

I have a hunch that rdesktop, cygwin, remote desktop and ssh are the pieces of
the puzzle you are trying to solve.

I run FC4 on my laptop and have a work system running Windows/XP.  I
use rdesktop on the FC4 system to access my work system remotely with
Windows Remote Desktop over ssh which gives a very responsive and
secure connection.  cygwin provides a very respectable Open SSH
platform.  The only "gotcha" I've encountered so far is that cygwin
sshd (as a service) requires C:/cygwin/bin to be on the XP search path
which causes a DLL hell issue with Windows gaim (1.5.0).  I got around
that by running Linux gaim.  A potential issue with my solution that
might not make it work in general is that I use ssh remote forwarding
which requires the remote system (my FC4 Laptop) to be accessible via
a static IP connection.  Using a proxy is probably workable but I have
not done that.

-pmr