X Update Gripe

Just a quick gripe about X updates through yum.

Is there a reason why the package maintainers turn my xorg.conf into xorg.conf.backup and write their own as xorg.conf?

This isn't the first time something like this has happened (I remember a samba upgrade a while back - same thing).

Linux isn't always the easiest to set up, then just as you have things the way you like them, you run an update (thinking you're doing the right thing from a security standpoint), and whammo, someone thinks all the settings you have made over the years aren't worth anything and they just put their own in again.

Case in question, a reboot this morning after an 11th Jan update turns my X into a 640x480 16 colour monolith.

Very frustrating.

End of Rant.

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749