Re: Toshiba Satellite A60S1591 - shutting down

Luis Uebel <lfu20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a serious problem with my notebook (Toshiba Satellite A60S1591). My
computer
has 512 Mbytes of RAM and a HDD of 60 Gbytes that was installed FC3.
After a couple of minute running FC3, computer shuts down (usually 20
minutes).
I don't have same problem with Windows that can run several hours without a
hit.
Processor overheats, it really burns when I run Fedora. It is very hot my
computer near of
turn on/off botton, bellow TOSHIBA logo. Apparently, fans are working
without problem.
Any help is welcome.
This might sound nuts, but top showed artsd eating up 85% of my cpu.
I've been looking into the problem, and found notes to the effect that if your sound setup has the soundcard running full-duplex, that will be th! e result. Run it half duplex to solve the problem... I've found a util called 'kickarts' which promises to disable arts in some sensible fashion (?) I'm gonna give that a whirl. My machine has been slower than heck... and artsd and kicker have been hogs. My old 486 with 16 megs of memory ran faster with 20 users. <cackles> Shutting down unneeded drivers is gonna be my next project. Being out of it for 5 years has been a real RipVanWinkle experience! Ric

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!