Re: Ouch!

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 19:11 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> This might (be ever so slightly) an upside from the OSS point of view:
> low margin USB stick manufactures might find it simpler just to tell
> the user to format them, which opens the door to providing them with
> a choice.  It may even create a little anti-proprietary ire.

A problem with that is that people will format them with inappropriate
file systems:  Ones that do lots of writes as you read files (access
date stamping), wearing them out prematurely.  Ones that use access
controls dependent on the machine they were used with (so you won't be
able to take them elsewhere, like you wanted to).  And so on...

I read messages from the public lists.