Re: USB access point (correction USB wireless access card)

On Thu January 12 2006 9:37 pm, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> >Sorry - it's a Microsoft branded USB access point. Actually, there are a
> > fair number of networking devices made now with USB connectivity. On my
> > Linux box, which does firewalling and dhcp for my LAN, I have a D-Link
> > wireless access point on my LAN port which connects with cat5 to the
> > ethernet port. There are two Windows machines on the LAN using these USB
> > access points to connect, and that works fine. I imagine the drivers for
> > this USB device are totally proprietary, and not worth hacking for Linux,
> > but I thought I'd ask.
>
> This might be one of those situations where having a Knoppix CD or
> equivalent could help, by firing up Knoppix and seeing if it recognizes
> what's on this USB port on his machine.
> check the output of dmesg after boot to see if it's there.

Let me point to a mistake in my subject line and original post and expanded
explanation, brought up by a private message from Edward Dekkers - this is
not an access point, but a USB wireless card. Sorry for the confusion - I
only have installed a handful of these devices and I used the wrong device
ID. Many of these devices can actually serve multiple uses; for example, you
can dumb down wireless routers and make them access points - so, I wrote
before I thought - at my age, such confusion-lapses are no longer an
option ;-)
I will try your Knoppix suggestion - good idea!
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA