Re: A question about using YUM

Nguyen Danh Hieu wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Each time when I try to install some programs ( from source or rpm) It happended that the package requires another, and then the another requires others package, library... and so on. Because of that I want to download every lib,rpm or sources ( that appeares on LAN ) to my harddisk and force yum to find and fetch dependencies from the folders. What you said,as I understand, that I have to build my own repository. How to do that?

Decide where you want to put the RPM packages you've copied. Let's say it's /home/localrepo

# mkdir /home/localrepo
# cd /home/localrepo
# mkdir RPMS
# cp /path/to/*.rpm RPMS
# createrepo .

(createrepo is a separate package you can install - it's not part of yum itself)

That should create a directory /home/localrepo/repodata with the information needed by yum.

Next, create a file /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo containing the following:

[localrepo]
name=Local repository for downloaded packages
baseurl=file:///home/localrepo
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

You should then be able to pick up packages from your local repository. Bear in mind that it will still pull packages from the Net if they are "later" than the ones in your local repo.

P.S. Please don't top-post on this mailing list.

Paul.