Re: Restoring deleted trash bin

On 1/12/06, Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have, by mistake, deleted the trash bin. How can I restore the trash
> > bin? I am using KDE.
>
> The only way I have fixed that is to backup the "data" -- not the
> related system directories (IE, not .kde, etc) and then just deleted
> and added back my home directory.
>
> When you sign back into KDE it will rebuild everything with defaults.

I have found out a simpler solution, which I shall describe in what follows.

The trash bin corresponds to a file (in the Desktop directory) named
"trash.desktop", whose contents are

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Contains removed files
EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=trashcan_full
Name=Trash
Type=Link
URL=trash:/

Then, if one creates the mentioned file, one is done.

How did I discover that? Looking at the trash.desktop file of another user.

Paul