Capturing Boot Messages

So I'm trying to build a new special kernel and of course, as Murphy
says, it'll blow up the first 1,000 times!  I need to capture the boot
messages because I'm getting a lot of errors scrolling by before the
kernel panics and I'm toast and have to revert back to my old kernel.
Once I revert back to my old kernel, all my previous messages are lost
and dmesg does me no good!

How can I make the kernel output to a file or some other means as soon
as it starts loading so I can capture this stuff?

TIA,

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx || brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }
--