RE: Accidentally clobbered zlib RPM, not rpm won't work

> >>Well, I was trying to back out some of the packages that got
> >>accidentally
> >>sucked down by yum from ATrpms.  In the process of "cleaning up",
> >>the RPM for zlib got nuked.
> >>
> >>No various things including rpm and wget won't work.
> >>
> >>I thought that yum would have left the previous rpm
> versions in place,
> >>but it doesn't seem to have.  Oops.
> >>
> >>What's the work-around?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>

> >Write down the name of the missing libraries as reported by RPM
> >and WGET.  Boot rescue mode from the installation CD.  You should
> >be able to find the missing libraries and copy them accross manually.
> >Boot normally, then re-get the package and install the
> missing packages
> >via RPM.
> >
> >Bob Styma
> >

> Actually, I installed zlib manually, but then went and broke
> something else.
> In this case, I tried to remove sqlite with yum--which it did
> gleefully--not
> realizing that it also would remove yum, up2date, and rpm!
>
> I'm trying to get yum to backout the upgrades to the ATrpms
> versions of
> files
> and get me downgraded back to where I was, which was using the current
> versions of the FC3 files.
>
> Ok, so how do I use rescue mode to reinstall yum, rpm, up2date, etc?
>
> BTW:  I hope my previous posting didn't convey the impression
> that I think
> the work done by Axel is anything but great work.  I was just
> a little
> frustrated
> at how yum didn't have any self-preservation checks built in, like
> refusing to
> remove its own dependencies, etc.

The trick is going to be to get rpm working.  Once that works, you
can use it to fix other things.  (rpm -Va) will list things that are
wrong with your system from RPM's point of view.

Trying to run the rpm command should generate messages about things
that are missing.  These are the things you need to note.

When you boot from the install CD, at the first prompt enter:
linux rescue
instead of just pressing return to do the install.  It will boot you
to a console window with you running as root and your original installation
mounted.  You should be able to find the missing files in the file
system for the Linux instance you just booted.  Copy these across to the
equivalent place on the original system and boot normally.  It is possible
that it may take more than one iteration to get the pieces.

Another approach would be.
If it is zlib alone that you are missing, see if you can find the source
tarball and download it with your browser.  You can build it from source
to get a useable zlib.  This assumes that gunzip or 'tar xzf' work.

Once you get a working rpm command:
rpm -Va     will tell you what files are messed up.
            It also tells you a lot of things which are largely irrelevant.
rpm -qf     will tell you what package a missing file can be found in.
locate <package_name>  will tell you where rpm salted away a copy of the package.
rpm -i -f <path_locate_told_you>  should reload the package.
                                  There may be better parameters for this last
                                  rpm command.

Bob Styma