Re: Accidentally clobbered zlib RPM, not rpm won't work

> Well, I was trying to back out some of the packages that got accidentally
> sucked down by yum from ATrpms.  In the process of "cleaning up",
> the RPM for zlib got nuked.
>
> No various things including rpm and wget won't work.
>
> I thought that yum would have left the previous rpm versions in place,
> but it doesn't seem to have.  Oops.
>
> What's the work-around?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Philip

Hi Philip,

Funny you should ask this! A few days ago I deleted 3000 files
from /usr/lib accidently and broke approx 300 packages.

The first thing I noticed was rpm didnt work, in my case it was about 10
libraries needed for rpm that got broke!

First thing I did to get rpm working was to go to rpmfind.net and search
for the missing shared library name.  Then you should find the current
fc4 package that provides it.  You can use cpio to manually extract the
rpm (I used my ubuntu desktop which handily extracted the rpms within
nautilus for me).  Come to think of it, I bet that needs zlib!  So you
need to use another box to extract the rpm.

Then somehow copy over the files that you broke to your broken box.  I
think just zlib.so.1 to /usr/lib.  If there is a symlink make sure its
correctly set up on your broken box.  Once rpm is running again manually
reinstall the zlib package using rpm -i --force to make sure its ok.

Hope this helps.

Alastair