Re: Does anyone have FC4 running on hp dv8000?

Robin Laing wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> Craig Thomas wrote:

>>>Is it a widescreen? My dv1227 works great.  How far into the process does
>>>it get? are you sure it's the kernel and not graphics related?  Have you
>>>tried not starting X at boot?
>>>
>>>http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#runlevel
>>>
>>>If you can boot the install CD, you can boot into rescue mode:
>>>
>>>http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#rescue
>>>
>>>HTH
>>>

>> It is widescreen.  It's not graphics.
>>
>> The 2.6.11 kernel that comes on the FC4 install works.  But, I can't
>> accept this notebook if it won't boot newer Fedora kernels.
>>
>> All Fedora 2.6.14.xxx kernels won't boot.  With no command line args, it
>> stops at
>> ACPI: Subsystem revision 20050902
>>
>> If I use acpi=off it stops later.  I also tried acpi=irq.  All fail, but
>> at different points!
>>
>> I tried the new test kernel 2.6.15-1.1823_FC4.  Same result.
>>
>> I am trying to install FC5T1 right now.
>>

> I have no idea but as a suggestion, is your HD a Sata drive in the
> notebook?  I ask this as I have a Toshiba that has SATA drives even
> through the spec said it was IDE.  I could install FC4 on the laptop
> but the CD/DVD would only work at a slow speed.  The newer kernels
> overcome this problem.  This is why I wonder if it is related to the
> controller chip and atapi driver.
>
> What is the controller chip for the drives?  Is the BIOS updated as
> well?  Maybe an option in the BIOS will allow you to set the drives as
> legacy.
>
> Something to look at.
>
> http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-acpi/aboutacpi.html

I have made significant progress.  Now I see what's going on.  It doesn't
matter what kernel version I try, but how it is installed.  It seems that
installing the kernel from FC4 fresh install is OK, but rpm -i <any kernel>
will just hang on boot.

I just tried FC5T1, and the same result.  Conclusion: kernels installed with
anaconda boot, those installed with rpm -i don't.

Now, any ideas what could be the problem?

Any idea how I can manually use anaconda to do my updates?

I have to decide soon whether to keep this notebook.  I don't want it if I
can't update the kernel.