Re: Does anyone have FC4 running on hp dv8000?

Neal Becker wrote:
Craig Thomas wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:23:49 -0500
Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can't seem to get any kernels to boot, except the install CD/DVD.  They
always hang.

Is it a widescreen? My dv1227 works great.  How far into the process does
it get? are you sure it's the kernel and not graphics related?  Have you
tried not starting X at boot?

http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#runlevel

If you can boot the install CD, you can boot into rescue mode:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#rescue

HTH

It is widescreen.  It's not graphics.

The 2.6.11 kernel that comes on the FC4 install works.  But, I can't accept
this notebook if it won't boot newer Fedora kernels.

All Fedora 2.6.14.xxx kernels won't boot.  With no command line args, it
stops at ACPI: Subsystem revision 20050902

If I use acpi=off it stops later.  I also tried acpi=irq.  All fail, but at
different points!

I tried the new test kernel 2.6.15-1.1823_FC4.  Same result.

I am trying to install FC5T1 right now.

I have no idea but as a suggestion, is your HD a Sata drive in the notebook? I ask this as I have a Toshiba that has SATA drives even through the spec said it was IDE. I could install FC4 on the laptop but the CD/DVD would only work at a slow speed. The newer kernels overcome this problem. This is why I wonder if it is related to the controller chip and atapi driver.

What is the controller chip for the drives? Is the BIOS updated as well? Maybe an option in the BIOS will allow you to set the drives as legacy.

Something to look at.

http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-acpi/aboutacpi.html