Re: aacraid write through cache into write back cache

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 18:58 +0100, Samuel Díaz García wrote:
> Any help???
>
> Samuel Díaz García escribió:
>
> > Do you know how to resize the swap partition (tools that allow me to do
> > that task)?

There is no tool per-se that does that. To make a swap partition smaller
is somewhat complex since it cannot be resized when in use.

The procedure to add swap space however is very easy.
1. Create a new partition and set it to type 82 (linux swap)
2. Run the command mkswap on the new partition
3. Add the newly created partition to /etc/fstab
4. Run the command swapon to activate it.
Viola!  the new swap partition is now active and will be every time you
reboot.

> > And in theory, why must I force the swap to be the same as physical RAM?
> > (not only to solve this problem).

In general, there is no requirement (that I know of) that your swap be
the same as physical ram.  There has been a lot of discussion about
swap, and the recent concensus seems to be that if you have a lot of ram
and the system is not heavily loaded [1] that you often can use as
little as 1/2 or maybe even less of the physical size for swap. Frank's
comment was that you had a large excess of swap with 512Mb ram and 4Gb
of swap.

[1] 1Gb or more ram and the system is home use or even a lightly loaded
server.

It does not ever hurt to have extra swap, it just is unnecessary.  If
you chose to run your system with 512Mb memory and 4Gb swap you are free
to do so.

HTH
Jeff