RE: FC4 - Eclipse problem

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 20:24 -0800, Hoffmann wrote:

Hi Dan,

Defenitely, something seems to be wrong with Eclipse.
If I install the Eclipse platform (and their
dependences, of course) either from Eclipse website or
from yum, when I try running it, I allways get the
following error:

"An error has occurred. See the log file
/home/hoffmann/workspace/.metadata/.log."

Please, see part of that log file below:

eclipse.buildId=M20050929-0840
java.version=1.5.0_06
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk,
NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch
x86_64

Eclipse  in FC4 has been compiled with gcj java compiler and is a native application, not Java Bytecode as the Normal Eclipse.
If you just install Java 1.5, then you will mess up the gcj java evironment (See the FC4 Release Notes).
There ways to get the SUN Java and gcj java to coexist, check out this page to see how.
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#Java

Tim