Re: unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 13:19 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> I also want to look at the terminal settings and see if I can get the
> background to change when I su.

I suppose you could get into the habit of opening a different type of
terminal for the few things you do as root (e.g. xterm instead of gnome
term).

I tried messing with the CLI prompt text for different users, before,
but that seems to foul things up.  e.g. When you try and use the up
arrow to back track through the command history, lines of text overwrite
the above text.

I did change the root user graphical mode background to a glaring red,
so if I ever logged in as root, it was an eyesore.  It's not something I
care to do, but when you're doing one root operation after another, it
gets tedious typing in root passwords time and time again.  Not to
mention that you're already doing very dangerous things, anyway.

I read messages from the public lists.