Re: chmod a-x chmod Fix?

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 08:13 -0500, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> Should I submit a bug report asking for a new feature?  I think chmod,
> if not other coreutils, should all be installed as 'immutable'.
>
> History -
> One of my students did a chmod a-x /bin/*
>
> After some thought I fixed this by mounting the /bin directory onto a
> VFat and moved the new 0755 file to linux.
>
> Is there a way to execute chmod when it is set 0644?  Is there a way
> to change the file permissions when chmod is disabled?
>
> At any rate, I set all my students chmod files to immutable (chattr +i chmod)
>
> Thoughts?  Comments?

The easiest way to fix this that I can think of would be to boot off the
rescue CD and use the CD's chmod to change the permissions back. If this
is something that happens frequently, root might want to archive a copy
of chmod in his/her home directory, or in another directory that no one
can touch...

Steve