Re: fc4 on x86_64, gtk2 weird behaviour

on 01/05/2006 11:34 PM Jon Savage wrote:
On 1/5/06, oleksandr korneta <mai11ist@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

so seems like no one knows what the problem might be...
not good

on 01/04/2006 11:15 PM oleksandr korneta wrote:

Hello All,

I'm fighting with FC4 trying to make it work on x86_64 (Turion) based
laptop. Honestly saying there is a whole bunch of troubles so far. But I
  hope (still) to handle those.

Anyway here is the point. Something weird has happened to all gtk2-based
 applications. Whenever you try to open Open/Save dialog window the
program just hangs and you have to kill it. If you run it as regular
user there is no output to console, however running something (let's say
gedit) from the root terminal seems to yield this:

# gedit
*** glibc detected *** gedit: malloc(): memory corruption:
0x00000000009a7c80 ***

again application just hangs.

I have to say that, firefox (1.5) behaves a bit differently. It also
gets stuck, but not always. Sometimes it works just fine for some reason.

The only thing I recall, one can blame on is that I've updated gnome to
2.12 from http://www.nrpms.net repository. But I'm not sure about that
being a reason.

any suggestions?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./

well a quick glance at the repository you referenced shows:
 "WARNING: Renke Brausse has informed me there are some issues with
the current x86_64 rpms. We're working on resolving these as quickly
as possible. Thanks for your patience."
quite prominently displayed on their home page.
well, I just thought that everything from /production repository is already polished...

IMHO your problem likely has more to do with the "(b)leading edge of
GNOME software for each stable Fedora Core release." you obtained from
nrpms.net than anything to do with fedora core 4 itself.
Yes I know that but I just expected that someone more experienced might give a hint about the package that causes the problem. Anyway, seems like rollback has solved the problem. I'm going to stay on 2.10 for a while.

You'll probably have more luck at:
http://www.nrpms.net/Lists/
thanks