Amatuar LVM creation and activation

Since there were discussions regarding problems with LVMs, I decided to create one on a USB drive. I was able to create, format and activate it using system-config-lvm. Anyway, the order for the commands to activate, find out what to mount the volume as is a bit out of order than what I posted before. My shell commands are posted below. Test data was loaded after system-config-lvm selected the volume name and lvm parameters, drive was formatted and mounted on selected mountpoint. After rebooting the below steps were needed.

Step 1: - activate all lvm partitions.
vgchange -ay
 1 logical volume(s) in volume group "vgpicts" now active

Step 2: - scan to find out what the volume is called so it can b mounted, pictures was what I decided to go with.
[root@cornette-lt ~]# lvscan
 ACTIVE            '/dev/vgpicts/pictures' [37.00 GB] inherit

Step 3: - take the information from the output of lvscan and use it to mount it on your desired location. I picked /home/jim/lvm-test
[root@cornette-lt ~]# mount /dev/vgpicts/pictures /home/jim/lvm-test

Step 4: change to where lvm was mounted, check for data contained on lvm. Information confirms lvm is accessible on reboot.
~]# cd /home/jim/lvm-test
lvm-test]# ls
jim  lost+found
[ lvm-test]# cd jim
jim]# ls
nomad-firmware  pe-build  pfd  realplayer-rpm

To recover data from systems previously on LVM, I hope this helps out.

Jim

--
Computers don't actually think.
	You just think they think.