Re: Re : unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

Peter Skensved wrote:

  I would start by backing up /root, /boot, /etc and /var
plus anything installed in /usr/local and /home . Next get a list of
all installed RPMs ( rpm -qa | sort  or  rpm -a --qf "%{NAME}\n" | sort )
and save them somewhere. With that information you can probably reconstruct
your laptop if everything fails ( this assumes you always install binaries
from RPM files and stuff from random tar files in /usr/local )

 Once you have done that run  rpm -Va  and save the output. This
will give you a list of missing files. Try installing the missing
ones with  rpm -Uv --force  . If that works then heck for .rpmnew files
and try reconstructing any munged configuration files.

I've successfully done the above with a really clobbered file system on a laptop.

                                                  peter
----

Peter Skensved                          Email : peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dept. of Physics,
Queen's University,
Kingston, Ontario,
Canada

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your advice. I managed to install enough libraries manually to get rpm up and running again.

What will the rpm -Uv --force command actually do? I looked at the output of rpm -Va and it was shocking, it took about 3 minutes to finish!

Best regards,

Alastair