Re: Manual Registration Comcast High Speed Internet in Fedora 4

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 19:10 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
> Min Chen wrote:
> > On 1/3/06, *Neil Cherry* <ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> >     What trouble are you having?
>
> > I wonder how to do Comcast "manual registration" in my Fedora 4 laptop
> > that Comcast tech people may not support.
>
> The question involved becomes: what is manual registration? I was
> given an install kit a long time ago. But I had the @home service
> up and running before hand. One thing you need to make sure of
> is that the domain name is comcast.net.  You'll also need dhclient
> I didn't need much else but I did have a working connection before
> hand.
>
> Have you tried it with Linux anyway?

I'm just picking up on this thread, but I am a Comcast High Speed
Internet subscriber running FC4. Indeed, it does work quite well. While
it's true that Comcast doesn't officially support Linux, what that
really means is they don't have a clue about how to configure anything
with Linux. This is something you can overcome if you say the right
things to them.

I had to do a manual install to set up my cable modem account and
complete the modem provisioning / account activation process. If you
call the national support number (1-800-comcast) and explain that you
need to do a manual install/account activation, they can then step you
through the rest. If they ask, you can tell them you're running Linux,
know that they don't officially support it, but also know that it is
documented by Comcast to work. Be polite and ready to translate anything
they have for Windows or Mac to what it needs to be for Linux. I was
also told by someone at Comcast once to always call the national support
number as opposed to the local number they provide. Apparently they have
different call centers and the national one seems to be much more
helpful.

Here's the meat of what you need to know: A manual install means you
need to configure your Web browser to set up your account. Comcast uses
a browser based, but still rather archaic system to do this, but it
works. To get to the account set up properly, your browser must have
specific proxy settings and you then need to connect to a specific site.
Comcast support can give you the site and what the browser settings are
for IE. You will need to translate those settings into what's needed for
either Firefox or Konqueror (not that hard to do - it's just proxy
server changes). If you ask for help from someone who understands Mac,
your chances of getting someone to help you that actually knows what
they are doing are going to be much better.

Once the browser base manual setup is complete, DHCP should work
normally. At this point, you will also be able to add back a
Firewall/Router/Gateway if you prefer (which I do).

Hope that helps! I wish I remembered the proxy settings and account
setup address, but it's best to have a support person on the line with
you just in case it's needed.

Cheers,

Chris Williams

--