Re: Questions about Fedora Core 4

Since you seem very interested I will try to answer each of your questions as best as possible.

On 1/2/06, Nathan Low < nlow04@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To Whom It May Concern:

Does Fedora configure all my hardware like my cd rw writer/dvd player, hp 2100c scanner, hp 3322 color inkjet printer,, video card, monitor, my siemens 4100 dsl modem?

It should have no problem  with your cd writer and dvd player. It sdhoudlnt' have any problems with your printer. I doubt it will have problems with your scanner, but I am less certain of that. Your monitor should be a non issue (at worst it will ask you to select it from a list). It should auto detect yor video card and allow you to configure it, it will however not beable to make use of special features of your card , if any, like 3d acceleration, this will require additioanl work on your part. What type of model and dsl service is it: ethernet/usb , sdimple connect or pppoe.

Can Fedora detect my sbc dsl internet service? Can Fedora activate my scanner? Since my printer has a cd to install my printer software, can it be compatible if I have the Crossover Office Standard 5.0?

Should, should and no. Your printer's cd  will most likely be useless in Fedora.

I have a Logitech Mouseware 9.41.1 trackball with the windows compatible cd and I need to know if its compatible.

At the very least the basic functionality will work, and the extra functionality should be confugrable. The cd is again useless.

If I saved my favorite websites on cd under windows xp, can I copy it and paste it to Fedora & Fedora compatible web browser?

This question requires additional information: define save your website, and what browser do you use in Windows?

Is it possible I can download Windows Media Player 10,

No need, there are many better replacements

Adobe reader,

no need, there are several replacements

Cyberlink PowerDVD 4.0,

no you can't wil have to choose from one of the players that  come with Fedora

System Mechanic,

This would be mostly useless in Fedora, but no

Complete Cleanup, Norton Goback 3.0, Norton Utilitie! s 2002, and McAfee Internet Security 8.0?

These would be mostly useless in Fedora, but no

If I can't download these Windows programs using Crossover Office Standard 5.0, does Fedora have similar programs?

Yes it sure does, some may argue that there are too many

Does Fedora have a disk defragmentor program, anti virus program, anti spyware program, and a firewall program?

No defreagmentor as this is not needed, no antivirus, but you can download one for free, but this is not needed. No spyware, period. It comes with a simple firewall program which meets most needs. More complex firewall programs can be downloaded and installed for free.

If a web page requires windows media player, is it possible I can play the audio or video on a Fedora compatible media player?

Yes, but you will have to follow a short tutorial to adding this to your browser(s) once in Fedora.

If I go to http://www.turbotaxfortheweb.com to file my taxes, will it work? With this website, I don't need to download any programs.

If you do not need to download any programs it should work just fine.

Can I copy my photos from my cd that I saved under windows xp and transfer it to Fedora?

Yes quite easily. But better yet, you can setup a  small drive that both Windows and Linux cansee, with a little help.

If I can't transfer my photos to Fedora, does Fedora come with free programs for me to scan, edit, and save my photos?

Yes

Please respond. Thanks.

Nathan Low

Didn't you post these questions before?