Re: Rhythmbox and mp3 files

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 14:11 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:

> OK -- livna was added as a yum repository
>
> > then
> > yum install gstreamer-plugins-mp3
>
> This still doesn't work.

Either Livna was not added correctly or your system is somewhat screwed
up.
gstreamer-plugins-mp3 from Livna works just fine on a clean FC4 install.

Maybe you fiddled too much with repositories and stuff.

> Interestingly, when I install
> gstreamer-plugins-mp3, gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio is automatically
> deleted:

Yes, that's normal.

> As you continue please keep the following in mind: You should not use
> the livna.org repository in conjunction with the
> dag/freshrpms/dries/newrpms/PlanetCCRMA (RPMforge) collection of rpms in
> your configuration files for automatic updates. Use one group or the
> other but not both.

Welcome to the repository hell, formerly known as RPM dependency hell.

It's still manageable, if you know what you're doing. Bottom line:
- enable as few repositories as possible
- only use "clean" repos, the ones that do not replace core packages but
just add new ones. Livna is an example, Extras is another.

dag is nice but if enabled it can totally screw up many core packages.
Same with atrpms and planetccrma.
Well, "screw up" is perhaps too harsh, but if you do a "yum update" with
any of those repos enabled your system is not Fedora Core proper
anymore.

I thought freshrpms is "clean" but I may be wrong.

Myself, I keep Extras and Livna enabled permanently. Any other
repository is disabled and I only install certain packages from it (with
--enablerepo). This policy keeps my FC4 systems clean.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/