Re: Security question regarding root email

Dotan Cohen wrote:

I haven't read root's email in about a month. Now that I get around to
it, I am suprised to see things that I have never seen before, such
as:
--------------------- pam_unix Begin ------------------------
[snip]

If you've never seen these before, you may want to tweak your sendmail
aliases file so root mail goes somewhere where you'll see it more often. :-)

#gedit /etc/aliases
look towards the end of the file... there's a comment about setting an
alias for root's mail.
#newaliases

Note the newaliases command is needed to pick up changes.

I have procmail put those LogWatch reports in a separate folder and I look at it (almost) daily... if new things start showing up, I can easily refer to previous days... I've also used these reports to identify ip ranges of "annoying behavior" and then block them entirely... at my router... the bad traffic doesn't even get to my machine after that.

Don